May 10, 2008

Thanks Mom

In the last year or so, I have thought about something - a lot! Friends and acquaintances are often telling me, "I can't believe you do all the things you do!" Now I am not telling you this to brag, or to make you think I am some kind of incredible being. Not at all, this post is an ode to my Mom.

As examples of times people have said this.

I came home from CA a few years ago, where I had seen a lot of vinyl lettering. No one in TN had even seen it. So I told Jim I thought I could start my own lettering business. He said OK? So I bought a machine, and got started. People were so surprised by this. Then just today my neighbor came over to ask Jim to fix her lights in her yard. She asked him because she had noticed that ours were working again. They had been out for awhile. Well, Jim looked at her and said, "I didn't fix them, Amy did."

So what does this have to do with my Mom. First of all, my Mom did everything, fixing stuff around the house, refinishing furniture, and cabinets. Building me a bed I saw in Seventeen magazine. I guess I just assumed that is what Mom's do.

The second reason goes much deeper. I don't think there was ever a time in my life when I wanted to try or do something (something worthwhile) that my Mom said, "no" or more importantly, "you can't do that". And always supported me in whatever I was doing. I don't think I have ever felt there was something I couldn't do, if I really wanted to, and I owe that to my Mom.

So Happy Mother's Day Mom! And thank you for always allowing me to be me.

I love you,
Amy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to think that both you and your mom are AMAZING!

Stake Camp Directors said...

I just wrote a blog and the one thing that stands out when I think of you is that you will do anything. Love having you for a sister!

Dean and Maryellen said...

Wow, I am the lucky one. Keep doing what you do.
Love you, mom

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

What an awesome attribute in a mother & now in you!