April 4, 2009

Lucky, Joy, Anxious, Love



Yesterday my oldest son, Zac, celebrated his SEVENTEENTH birthday! I have tried to post something about each of them on their birthdays, this post is coming a day late! It is a day late because I really want to share what being his Mom has been like. The four words in the title I think sum it up for me.

LUCKY - I feel lucky because Zac is truly, and genuinely GOOD. He was a good baby, a good toddler, a good kid, and now a good young man. My friend once asked if I could bottle whatever I did with him so she could give it to her boys. I had to be honest, and not take credit, I tell everyone "He just came that way!"

JOY - Zac has the ability to bring joy to any situation. I feel he is genuinely a joyful person. In fact there have been times when I have had to be harsh with him, and always felt so bad for taking any of that joy from him. He almost always has a smile, and even if he tells you he doesn't have that many friends. I know that everyone that knows him feels like his friend.

ANXIOUS - There are two reasons I feel anxious. The first is that I realize my time with him living under the same roof, seeing him every day, is limited. But I am also anxious to see what amazing things he will do with his life. No matter what he does, big or small, he will bring his joy and goodness to everyone around him. His wife and children will be loved and cared for. He will work hard, and do the very best job he can. He will serve his Heavenly Father, and live the gospel.

LOVE - I never knew how much I could truly love someone until he was born. It is a different love than the romantic love I have for my husband. It is an all consuming love, lay down my life kind of love. A love, I think, only comes from the birth of a child. A part of me, and part of the man I love. A child is the epitomy of love. I am thankful for the blessing I was given 17 years ago, to be allowed to be a part of this amazing persons life. To love him, and for the love he gives me.

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Very sweet...What a lucky guy to have a mom who loves him so much.

The Combs said...

Yep...made me cry! But I am 33 weeks pregnant! I loved that...you have a way with words! Zac is an amazing young man!

Glenda Martin said...

I'm not pregnant but it still brought a tear to my eye. What an amazing young man with an amazing mother!

Rockelle said...

Congrats...Super Mom....its takes a super mom to have a super boy I think!

Jessica said...

I am so glad that Zac is still behaving! He has always been a sweet boy. Thank him for being a good example for my boys, because even though the cousins do not see each other much, That example of goodness flies over mountains and rings true. Just as Jordan's example of missionary work is being heard in NJ.

roylancemommy said...

I remember when I was his primary teacher!! Happy Birthday to your boy :) He also has a super fun mom, that makes a bit of a difference ;)

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

What a sweet tribute. What a blessing to be his mom!

heymaughan said...

I panic a little already about the fact that my children will grow up and leave...even though that's the whole point. You put so well into words the love we feel as mothers!

Leslie said...

Would wish Zac a happy day on his blog but he hasnt been there for 7 months. Hope it was great. Cant wait to see you all in June. Now post a picture so we can actually see how handsome he really is.