February 22, 2008

Go Tigers!!!




So I know this isn't maybe as big of deal anywhere but here. But the Memphis Tigers Basketball team is ranked #1, and the TN State Vols are #2.
Here in Memphis the rivalry between Tiger and Vols fans is huge. You are one or the other,

orange or blue!!

They are playing each other on Sat. and tickets are selling on ebay for $1200!!!! ( I haven't seen any sold for that much yet, but they're trying.) And students that can get in for free will be lining up at 5am for the 8 o'clock game. I would have to say we have become Tiger fans and will be cheering them on. (from home of course)


Funny Side Note: Just to give you an idea of how intense the fans are - When I first moved here I was blown away by all the Orange T flags everywhere, in peoples yards, on their cars, everywhere. So in church we were talking about patriotism, and teaching your children to be so. One Sister suggested that we always make we flew the state flag right side up, with the two stars on top. I played dumb and said, isn't the state flag the one with the big ornage T on it? Some laughed, some didn't!!

3 comments:

Heidi and Rich said...

Rich (my husband) went on his mission to Nebraska and he says that Football games there were sacred...especially when they were playing their rivals. He said they really couldn't track during the games because if you'd knock on a door and interrupt the game it would be like calling the Bishop on Monday night during FHE - a serious no no. The flag thing was funny I would have laughed.

Amy Coontz said...

I think the missionaries should just stay home tomorrow night.

Mrs. Schmalison said...

Of course I remember you!! How are you? Yeah its still pretty strange to me that I am going to have 2 kids. Mom cant believe that her babies are having babies.