November 12, 2007

This Boy of Mine!!


My Zac is a unique, amazing, frustrating young man. He always seems to do the right thing, I rarely worry about him. In fact a friend of mine that he babysits for once asked if I could bottle what ever I did with him, so she could give it to her boys. I quickly responded, that he just came that way. Another of Zac's qualities, I sometimes refer to as his blond side. He sometimes makes comments that leave us speechless, if you know what I mean.

The frustration comes in when school is involved. He is sooooo smart, but has struggled forever, with remembering to turn work in etc. We have pretty much known that he has ADD (attention deficit disorder) since about first grade, but we have tried to "deal" with it. Well, I have decided that we need to maybe do more. After his last grades came in, and emails and phone calls from teachers who can't understand what is going on. They too recognize that he is very intelligent, but not working up to his capabilities. Soooooo. . . I had him try his brothers medication on Sunday, he didn't act any different, he complained of a stomach ache, but he didn't have breakfast. For those of you not familiar with ADD, the only real way to know if your child has it, is if the medication works. (there are a lot of things that take place before this final step)

This is what I have been leading up to - today when he got home from school, he sat himself down at the table, and started doing his homework, then organizing his binder. I didn't know he had taken another pill this morning. Then, in classic Blond Zac fashion he says -
"You know what's weird about that medicine, it makes it hard for me to focus on more than one thing at a time"

2 comments:

Dean and Maryellen said...

sounds good. HOpe it will keep him focused. Sounds like it is.

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

The last time I remember seeing Zac he was probably 4 years old. He was so adorable, it's awesome to see that his sweet personality can only add to it.

Congrats on finding a solution - I'm sure he'll appreciate it more than anyone.