May 1, 2009

Tyler

So Tyler, my second child, turned 15 on April 21st.
(Before I start talking about Tyler, it is going to start
out sounding like a bad post, but keep reading.
)

When Tyler was a toddler/small child, I was told by friends and family on numerous occasions that when he was a teenager he was going to be TROUBLE! He wasn't always bad as a youngster, but he did have a mean streak, and quite a temper. He was extremely head strong, wanted what he wanted, and rarely changed his mind about it.

Personally, I had mixed feelings about it. There was part of me that worried he would not grow out of it and our teenage years would be a nightmare. The other part of me felt comfort in his stubbornness. I felt if we taught him good principles and he had strong convictions about them, this would be a great blessing in the teenage years.


Well, to all you Mom's of small boys you think will do you in as teenagers. I am here to tell you, we were all wrong about Tyler! There were some rough patches during the pre-teens, but nothing life altering! And now at 15, Tyler is one of my favorite people. Yeah, he's my son, but I really like him. He is a good kid, that tries hard to do the right thing. And when he makes a poor choice, he does what he can to make it right, and learn from the experience. He is my favorite TV watching buddy, and has a great sense of humor.

I am looking forward to the coming years and watching him grow into a man. Seeing what career he will choose. Watching him fall in love and get married. I know he will be a fantastic Dad.

I don't think I could be more proud of Tyler. I will still push him to do better in school, be a little nicer to his younger brothers, keep his bathroom clean, and feed his pets. But overall Tyler has been a great blessing to our family, and wouldn't trade ANY of it.

So, here's to fifteen years, and many more to come.

7 comments:

Rockelle said...

so your telling me that there is hope...My 14 year old boy....wow drives me crazy!
Happy Birthday to Tyler!

The Combs said...

That is so nice to hear! I always liked him though! :) I feel blessed to have gotten to know you, Jim and your amazing kids the last 4 years or so! Happy Birthday Tyler!!

Jessica said...

I loved the picture of the boys trying out the airsoft on their legs. What a great mom you are.

Garrett said...

Just so you know i posted on chad's blog.

Kathleen said...

That's good to know because I've got an 11 year old who I definitely wonder about sometimes. Good job raising a sane teenager.

Candice Lynn said...

Happy birthday to Tyler and to you yesterday, Aunt Amy!

Cherri said...

This post made me cry! Just because I could feel the love you have and I sure miss my teen boys! These years are precious (you know that) so keep posting stuff like this and put it in scrapbooks for them. Devon's bday was the 8th, wish I had written him a post like this. Don't know what I will do when my last (Dylan) leaves me. Move near my kids I guess cause it is too quiet in the house! Even with Rick. ha